Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023 Year end Review


2023 YEAR end Review 🙌

🏃‍♀️ 2023 miles ran: 2654
6️⃣  pairs of running shoes
⌚ Time to reflect
🥰 Friendships
🦄 Proof that dreams do come true!

Boston didn't come easy. The failed years made 2023 all the more sweeter. 🦄💙💛

Winter was off to a strong start as I started training for the Boston Marathon. #flatcindy joined me on my training, along (feel free to ask about her) with my husband (also training for Boston) and friend Kristi (training for Eugene Marathon).

Cascade Half Marathon & 10K half (January) was run as a tempo/pacing a friend race. The weather was incredibly bad, but as always, if you're with the right person, it can still be fun! FYI, my friend earned a PR (personal record) that day!

Shamrock Run Portland 15k (March) was raced as part of my training for Boston. I was pleased with my effort and felt strong. I could feel my training working.

The grit of the early mornings was my biggest obstacle. I was working on the "just get it done" mindset. My personal growth through this time was huge and flowed into many areas of my life. I was a mixed bag of emotions but stayed really focused. Training was good for me.

I have many wonderful friends and strangers that came alongside me throughout my Boston training. The support during this time was amazing, from collecting pop-cans, selling cookies and turning in used sneakers for credit. If you missed my updates, my trip to Boston wasn't a financial stress at all 💙💛 because of the response I had 🩷

My Mom, Sister-in-law, two nephews and a friend all joined Jerry and me in Boston. It was everything I dreamed and so much more. I wrote a lot about this experience in my news feed/blog. I'm not going to go into all of it because it's just to much. So much goodness, emotions and words!

I dealt with a minor issue during training that caused my hamstring to tighten during the Boston (April), but I still ran a BBQ (Boston Qualifier, in Boston). I was nowhere near a PR (personal record) and had come to terms with that before the race even started. As most runners do, I did start Boston in hopes that it my hamstring issue would magically be gone!!! 🤷‍♀️ I don't regret anything I did!

I left Boston on a high that left me completely full, yet completely exhausted. I went through a really difficult time personally after coming home. I knew running wasn't over, but really struggled to figure out what to do with my running. To some, this may sound silly. I get it, running isn't all that important in the big realm of things. The thing is, running is my lifestyle, my well-being. It does matter to me and I am a better person due to running. My personality also is one who sets goals. Small goals and big goals all in an effort to do a little better each day.

For the first time after a marathon I felt blank. I felt lonely. I wanted to run, but why, where, for what reason? I felt crazy for a while, crazy and alone. Running always has had great purpose to me. Thanks to a friend with a distance runner husband, I was called out on this issue. She told me I wasn't alone. She told me she was worried this would happen to me. This is something I just cannot explain.

I had signed up for Eugene half (two weeks following Boston). I went to support Kristi who had training alongside me. I ran the half to celebrate, she raced the full. I was pleasantly surprised how good I felt to run that celebration race. I was so thankful to get to be in the race atmosphere and support Kristi and a few other friends who were there that day.

After Eugene, I talked a couple friends into signing up for Newport half in early June. Newport the year before is where I had qualified for Boston. I thought it would be cool to go back, run the half, and "go full circle."

From Newport, to Boston and back there's a road that goes from Newport to Boston (Route 20 - America's Road), so it just made sense to me. I did well in Newport and loved every moment of that weekend. This race was something I needed!

After Newport I went into a 6 month season of base training/off season. I had spent the last year doing training for two marathons and my body had taken a toll. I had some minor issues and my body needed a break. I continued to run, but didn't do intense workouts. I mostly ran easy and loved when friends would join me. I went into a season of just running to enjoy. I ended up learning a lot personally during this time. It was such a positive for me.

I ran a little fun run on July 4th, it ended up being extremely hot that day. I was still able to run strong. I was really happy with being able to keep my body in decent shape.

In August I was a runner on a Hood To Coast team I ran my 3 legs (running segments) with no injuries, lingering pains and feeling like a million bucks!

I continued into the Fall keeping a strong base and making sure my body stayed healthy.

My friend talked me into running Eugene 2024 so I will end 2023, going into marathon training for the first time in a whole year!
I am leaving 2023 a more confident runner and person in general. It feels good.

2023 races 👇👇👇

*Cascade Half, January 15th (1:44:29)
*Shamrock 15k, March 12th (1:09:23)
*Boston Marathon, April 17th (3:47:22)
*Eugene Half, April 30th (1:47:02)
*Newport Half, June 3rd (1:39:57)
*Mini Marathon (2.6 miles), July 4th (19:17)
*HTC/runner 2, August 26-27th
*Dallas Glow Run 5k, Oct 14rh (22:16)
*Run'ucopia 15k (8.87 miles/cut short), Nov 23rd (1:05:29)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...