Monday, April 25, 2022

Marathon Training: Week Thirteen - Consistency

 This last week I have done a good job keeping my miles going up. I've known for years, to get to the next level, I must put in a little more work. Guess what? It's working! 

 There's a difference between training to get to the finish line and

and training to hit a goal time-personal record time that will ensure getting into Boston 2023 and the struggle is real. 

 I trained hard in 2018 and did just that. It was the first year in history that the time I ran, qualified me for Boston "19 but wasn't good enough as more and more runners are trying to get in every year. I qualified in Eugene and then registered with a qualifying time, only to be told it wasn't good enough. Heartbreaking! I had worked so hard, ended up messing up my foot a bit and had a really difficult time getting back into a training mindset. 

I still stayed consistent, that's something I do well. I ended up going through some struggles, one being Norton's Neuroma in my left foot. The treatment injections got to be pretty brutal but was thankful for a no surgery option. 

I tried to get back into training and I struggled big time with mindset. Covid soon hit, so races started being a thing of the past for a couple years. I still stayed consistent.

As races started coming back, I tried to get back into training and again, injured myself. This time it was my left calf, as training was getting up in miles and intensity. I had to take a big look at what was going on and scale back. I stayed consistent in what I could do as I healed. 

As we came out of covid I was dealing with injury and needed something to focus on so I started working on my body. I knew my body needed a good check to be ready to start training again once my calf healed. I stayed consistent and dropped over 15 lbs. 

I was now feeling really good once again. I started healing and slowly, smartly getting my miles up, and was back into training the end of January 2022. 

For the first time since 2018 my mind has been on fire. I have been more focused than ever and my training is going better than I've ever experienced. At this point I need to keep moving forward while really listening to my body. One wrong move and I could face injury, taking me out for June 4th's marathon. 

I'm not going to let that happen! 

 This coming Sunday I run Eugene Half Marathon. My goal time is doable according to my training times, but will also be hard. It will be a PR (personal record) I once thought I would

never ever come close to again. Eugene will also be fun. I have friends coming to run the half too. I love meeting up with running friends at the races. Finishing on Hayward field will also be my reminder that come June 4th, my training will take over and I will run my race! Hayward field is where I stepped over the finish line as a Boston Qualifier in 2018. I dropped to the ground as soon as I finished. My husband and a volunteer grabbed me and pulled my body up and over to the side. I had given it my all and I will never forget that moment. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...