Monday, May 23, 2022

Marathon Training: Week 17, "Why Run a Marathon?"

As I sit here, only 12 days from Newport Marathon, I can't help but to reflect on the "why's" of training/running a marathon. People have told me, "you know, you don't have to run a marathon! Why not run something shorter?" I get it! It's a huge time commitment! I've had to really be diligent about when to train and even what time of year to put in the bulk of the work as it is almost like a 2nd job. 
Several years ago my best friend and I joked about running as fast a Oprah Winfrey. In 1994 she crossed the finish line at 4:29:20 with professional help. At the time, that was my goal and it took me a few years to get there! It was hard, but I stayed consistent with what I knew at the time and did it. After that marathon, another friend told me I had the talent to run a sub-4:00 if I trained a little different. I figured I had nothing to lose and simply changed a few things in training. At the time, I didn't believe I was every going to run a sub-4:00 but this friend had way more experience that I did. I did the workouts as I was told and I ran a sub-4:00! I went on to run several sub-4:00 but what about running a Boston Qualifying time? This was not only a joke to me but not even in my realm of thought! At the time, I would need to run much faster, shaving my time down to a sub 3:45. I trained to run a 3:40 to ensure a 5 minute buffer and ran a 3:42. This was with the help of a Coach. This also made me realize I was capable of a lot more than I ever realized. This was four years ago. 
The last four years I have struggled. I know what it takes to train hard and have tired to get back both physically and mentally and have failed. I went through a couple injuries and two years of covid. Races disappeared for the most part and the thought of tossing my money out to run a virtual run seemed not only silly, but a waist of my hard earned money. 
During the last four years I've stayed very consistent and have always know I had that going for me. I changed jobs at the hospital, giving my feet a bit more rest during the day. I got my weight back in check and started running most every day before work as my hours changed too. It was a slow process but eventually I wanted to really train again. 
I signed up for Newport kinda on a whim. I've loved Newport in the past but to be honest was done with it. For some reason I just felt I needed to go back now! It sounded like good timing for 2022 and I had friends who decided it would be really great to do the Newport half, some for the very first time. 
As I focus on my why's, this is what has come out of this training cycle! I've increased my endurance and I know my heart health is well. If you looked at my resting heart rate you wouldn't believe what you saw. My heart doctor even took a second look. 
I have less overall stress. I feel like running is my medication. I have a great deal of stress in an area of my life I don't care to talk about and this helps me stay stable. It's needed. Running faster is even better! 
I am more upbeat at work. Call it a "runners high" call it what you want? I am the happiest person at 7:00 am when the early part of our work team all walks in at 6:59am! 
My Vo2 max had increased over the last four months. Vo2 max is your aerobic capacity. I stand in disbelieve at some of my achievements over the last few months because I've been willing to trust someone with more knowledge than me to get my body into shape. Trusting the process is very hard for me as I get worried for whatever reason, it won't work. As long as you have someone working with you that knows what their doing, just trust them! If you pull up a "free" training plan off the internet, that's fine, but if you really have a time goal, at least have someone with more knowledge look it over and explain they whys? I've seen too many folks not understand the workouts, thus cheating themselves from getting the most out of their training cycle. 
Keeping my blood presser and cholesterol at healthy levels. I do get my numbers checked as I work in healthcare and I'm not getting any younger, I know that keeping this under control is a huge deal. 
My last why is it just it makes me a better person. I feel better and it helps me want to help others. I am outside, in my own head for several hours a week. I am able to get focused on my day. I am able to dream a little. What do I really want for myself and those I will be in contact with for the day? I am able to reach for a goal(s) over time, that I never ever thought I could do! 

The other day, I friend posted this and it struck me hard core! "Just remember 5 years ago, you dreamed about where you are NOW." Don't give up on yourself...EVER! 

I'm ready to go for "my gold!" a Sub-3:30 on June 4th! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...