Monday, February 7, 2022

Newport Marathon Week One!

 Ive been absent here for a few years as I blogged for another company. I'm back, and am keeping it real. I've chosen to come back starting with Newport Marathon training 2022! I plan one weekly blogs with my thoughts and feelings for the week, but chances are, I will miss a few! Thanks for taking the time to read. 

Week one training: As I go into training for my 16th full marathon I think, what would my PT (physical therapist) think about this??? Sometimes it better not to share everything!!! I've had doctors tell me that running more than 3 miles a day is too hard on the body. Many people think I'm ruining my knees and damaging my body. The truth is, over the last 13 years, I've slowly, ever so slowly built up the tendons in my ankles, legs, knees, shoulders and more. I've taking my heart health to a beautiful healthy level and I feel and even look so much better. The key is taking it slow, knowing it won't be perfect and consistently. 

I don't expect everyone reading this to finish to the end or even be remotely interested. This is just the thoughts of a crazy marathon runner who has been on a 13 year journey to bettering herself. 

Week one: This week I was excited to get started. My last training cycle (2021) was cut short due to a mild injury resulting in PT and a major cutback in high intensity workouts. I have a great PT and was back at it in a matter of months. I had lost way too much training to race. I took a step back and slowly got my mileage back up, got my eating patterns back on track and am running very strong once again. 

The thing that scares me the most about this and most training cycles is knowing that my goals won't be handed to me. I very well might fail and then feel I will need to tell you. I actually have to work my butt off, miss social gatherings and go to bed early, really early! I know that even if I have a steller training cycle, race day comes with rain, wind, heat, injury, or it will all come together like a perfect song! Just because I train with a coach and do things correctly will not ensure a perfect ending in June 4th. The thing is, when it does comes together perfectly, every long run, every track workout, every early morning easy run, everything I gave up over the last 4 months is made worth it!!!! 1000% worth it! I have tasted this perfection three times and I've run so many races I can't count them anymore. Only 3 times! One 1500 in HS, one marathon in Eugene and one 15k in Portland. There's nothing like the finish line of a perfect race! I suppose when you get a taste of something so so great, it's something worth going for again. 

It's such a perfect thing, I try to get anyone to give it a try. Most people won't take me up on it but the ones who do .... They typically find great joy and fulfillment in the run even with completely different goals than I have. 

I am trusting myself and my hard work over the last 13 years to carry me through the next 16 weeks of training. 

Tomorrow (Sunday) I'm meeting a couple friends for my long run. In the coming weeks I may be a little crabby from time to time. I may try to eat your lunch. My body will be rested as I believe in rest being part of training but the truth is, training for a marathon sucks so please be patient with me and if I seem tired, just feed me 🤷‍♀️😘


No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...