Monday, February 14, 2022

Marathon Training: Week Two "I'll understand if you eat my lunch"

Week Two: 

 I'm extremely nervous as I write today! I'm not sure why except I am always expecting someone not to understand why I do what I do. I guess that's to be expected 😝🤣 

My goals are big and I have trained "advanced" before. I know what it takes, that's probably why I'm nervous. I did realize one thing this last week! Some of you who are new to following a "marathon runner" don't know exactly what a full marathon is. It's not just any old race. Its a race you train for, for about 16 weeks and on the big day, you will race 26.2 miles. It's a really long race, thus the jokes about marathon watching when you binge on your favorite TV series. 

This last week I had a day where I was just mentally exhausted. I decided to take a day off and rest and it did me good. Most often I will  have a "active rest day" where I still put in some miles but they are very slow, just to keep the legs loose. Even though I chose to take a break Wednesday, I got up Thursday and went right back into my training. Resting is fine but the marathon will not run itself. 

By the end of week two I felt very happy. We are just beginning but we are off to a really great start. I haven't felt this strong is a few years. I did the work to get a really quality base of weekly miles up after healing from an injury. As I go into track work/speed work the last two weeks, I'm already feeling a difference. I'm ready for this! 

People at work are catching wind that I'm in training and I'm hearing, "I'll understand if you eat my lunch." and " I'll understand if you're in a bad mood."  I will be the first to say, I work with a very supportive group of folks! They don't understand why I am doing this but seem happy to support my journey and watch the process. I sure love them for that support.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...