Saturday, May 25, 2013

Newport Marathon Goals and Stuff

Newport is only 7 short days away.  I have never blogged about my goals but I think I will this time around.  It can be scary to tell the world your goals.  Last year I did it! My goal was sub 4:30 and I ran a 4:29:18.  Talk about close.  I also really struggled the last several miles, but none-the-less...I did it!

As I started into training for this year I realized, If I want the same results..fine, train the same way!  But, am I really capable of more? After last year I thought I had reached my potential.  I had ran my perfect marathon time and I was completely satisfied with that.  

But this year is a NEW year!  

After I realized I needed to change things in my training and diet I went with it.  I met Ultra Runner Chris and started picking his brain.  Jerry (my husband) had also decided to run Newport this year (for the first time) and was doing all kinds of running research.  I was getting all kinds of good training tips.  It was like I was a new runner again learning how to train different.  I decided, "what do I have to lose?" and went with a new training plan.  Chris works with a coach and gave me some tips, lots of tips and constructive criticism.  Over the next month or so I started to see a difference.  I enjoyed all the different types of running workouts I had to do.  I had very hard running days, and very enjoyable running training days.  But, I never burnt out...I typically have a burn out sometime in training....interesting!

I also changed my eating and fueling for the first time in marathon training.  The change in food made a huge difference in the stomach issues I have dealt with over the last two years.  I also lost six
pounds the right way and am going to run Newport at my goal weight.  This is something I've wanted since I started running 4.5 years ago.  I have more energy and feel so much better with just simple changes.  

As I embraced the changes and had a couple guys (Jerry and Chris) saying, you CAN do this...I started to believe I could indeed do it. I realized it was really working when I ran The Biggest Loser 15k in April with a nice PR.  Then I ran the Hippie Chick Half with a  pretty PR only two weeks ago.  

I set my Newport Goal at sub 4:00:00.  I know I can do this.  It won't be easy, but I have done the work.  All I need to do now is simmer for one more week and then give it my all for a pretty payday at the finish line.  I realize I may not make my goal, but I also realize I AM capable.  I will give it my best next week...can't what to see what happens!  

DCE Electric, Inc. PO Box 1146 Dallas, OR 97338.....my sponsor for Newport


No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...