Monday, May 16, 2022

Marathon Training: Week 16, Taper?

We are now less than three weeks out, meaning we've entered "the taper." I'm not a fan of the taper, but know the importance of it. If you are unfamiliar with what the taper  in marathon training, it's the last 2-3 weeks where you reduce the volume and intensity of training. If done correctly, you will line up on race day ready, rested and will be able to run your best race (depending on how your training cycle has gone). 

There are several factors to consider! It's time to get some "extra rest," but not "too much" rest! It's normal to start feeling tired more during these weeks, but if too much rest happens, you won't be in prime shape come race morning. You still have to run! I have been good all this cycle with taking extra time to rest on days I'm tired. Some days, it's just coming home from work and going to bed. On the weekends, it's sleeping in and or an afternoon nap. 

A little weight gain is normal during this time. It won't be much, but it's time to eat a little more carbs. I strongly believe in "health carb" options. It's not an excuse to eat cake every day! It is crucial to keep the "diet" in tack as it can affect performance on race day, big time. 

Coming up with a "race day" plan is something to consider. I actually started this last week for a couple friends who plan on watching the marathon. I planned out my pace/aide station times for my friends. This will ensure they know where and when to find me (want a copy? Just ask). I also started figuring out what I will be wearing on race day. I am waiting to be a little closer for a better forecast but I like to race in a tank and shorts/skirt! I have a few to pick from so I just need to narrow that down. 

The "taper crazies", sometimes known as "taper tantrum" is my biggest reason to hate the taper. I do not like to think about having to do less quality training runs. That has been what I've done for 3.5 months. I will still do some, but not as many. It'll feel off. Runners are creatures of habit, so this part sucks. I've had the best training cycle of my life and yet doubt and fear is beginning to set in. It also comes with the excitement of knowing I could really do want I want to do and what I trained for. See why it's crazy???

During the taper, many experience what I like to call "phantom pains." This is something I've not only experienced, but have seen many runner friends go through it. Pain during the taper are simply tissues repairing themselves on a microscope level. A person will often experience muscle cramps as the body adapts. This will make a runner think they are injured and will never be able to pull off the race! It's madness!

I will still be running a lot in the next couple weeks and this taper period is all part of the process. It's just going to be a different type of running. I do know if I play my cards correctly, It'll all pay off on June 4th. 

On June 4th I will line up at 6:50am for my 6th Newport Marathon. I've mostly trained alone this time around. I have had enormous support from not only other runners who have watched my journey, but non runners who have heard about my craziness and somehow can related it to a different area in their life. It's pretty cool. I have had my husband to run my long runs with on the weekends. I have to say that this has been very enjoyable! In the past I've loved having lots of people on the weekend long run. This "lack of folks" has given me freedom to sleep in more and go out at my pace and my pace only. I have pushed my pace on a couple weekends as my husband can run faster. We have had a lot of fun. This has only benefited my training. I've always listened to my body and backed off when needed. 

I don't know that I'll have anything to write about next week, but we'll see what comes up! 

🥂 Cheers to the taper crazies!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...