Monday, April 4, 2022

Marathon Training: Week 9 (What if I get Sick?)

 A big question in Marathon training is, " What if I get sick?" I mean, with a four month training cycle, something is bound to happen, right? 

Week Nine started off a little rocky. I had ran a 20 mile training run last Saturday and reported in my last blog how the last couple miles where really difficult. I figured it was the warmer weather that day or allergies as I did run through the beautiful cherry blossoms 🌸 

Sunday I did do my recovery run just fine but by Monday I felt terrible. I still thought it was allergies but decided to take an early "rest" day. I only walked Monday and that's not like me as I have Monday's off and it's a good opportunity to start the week off with some good mileage. 

Tuesday I needed a quality workout. I actually had x5 mile repeats at a decently fast pace. I got up before work, knowing the worst that can happen is I feel horrible and don't finish. I set out at 4:30 am in ideal running temps and after a good warm up, killed my workout and felt great all day long. 

Wednesday I ran easy, and off my "allergies" went again. The running helped clear my head, but as soon as I stopped, all the congestion and head pain came back. I got ready for work and a coworker came in with my favorite, cold brew with one pump chocolate. I do work with the most amazing people 🌷 As the day went on I felt worse. I have chronic headaches so I am used to not being at my best, but it was feeling different. I couldn't focus, I could hardly keep my eyes open and after realizing I was snapping at my coworkers, I asked to go home. I went right to bed! 

The next two days were rough. It was definitely more than "allergies" I learned many people had or were getting over a nasty cold. Guess it was my turn. I did nothing but rest. At one point my ear hurt so bad I thought I might have an ear infection. 

It is often said, you will probably get sick at some point during marathon training. I chose a four month advanced plan. I would be lying to myself to think I wouldn't have at least one bad week. The middle of training is one of the best times to get sick. 

Guess I got that over. 🤷‍♀️

By Saturday I was feeling better enough to at least try running. It was my long run day. I set out that morning with my husband, knowing I may just come back home. As I've run and trained my body over the last 14+ years, I've become really in tune with my body. When to push it and when I need to stop. I've definitely not perfect at it but I'm pretty good. 

I ran a slow warm up and then settled into my pace for that day. After that, I didn't think about it too much. I just ran and was ok. I did have some mild stomach issues as I was coming off being sick and had to nap after, but I did it! 

Sunday was recovery and I knew that going into week ten would be ok. 

For a week of having to be sick, I still got in 2 out of 3 quality workouts and 2 out of 3 recovery runs. I usually have an active rest day and used it as a rest rest day but, at least the week wasn't a total loss. 

For those of you who take the time to read "the mind of a distance runner" (this blog). I love you! I love how you share with me how you relate in other ways in your life. Training and finishing the marathon distance has taught me so much about life in general that has nothing to do with running. I love how some of you see that in my writing. 

Cheers to week TEN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...