Monday, March 7, 2022

Marathon Training Week Four and Five, The Little Things!

  

Week four went totally fine, I just didn't feel like writing last weekend. I actually had a person ask me if they missed week four as they hadn't seen it? I guess at least one person out there is reading this! Ha! 

I have been a bit more tired lately but overall feeling so much better in general. Getting in shape tends to do that to a person. I have taken the weekends to sleep more and even allow a nap if we are just hanging around at home. I have been having a slight discomfort in my left foot. No surprise here. If I have an issue it's always the left foot. I injured it in the 8th grade. As an adult have sprained it at least three times and was diagnosed with Norton's Neuroma a year or two ago. I was told get a series of injections or surgery. The injections worked but were painful. The last one the doctor told me I had to decide how many I wanted as far as the pain level goes. Pain meaning how much am I will to live with for the rest of my life? I left after 7 or 8 knowing I should get one more. I still feel it when I run hard but, I know it's not something that's hurting me long term. The current issue in my foot feels minor but I want to keep it minor! I work with a several Physical Therapist so I decided to take advantage of that! About 8 days ago I asked one of them to take a quick look and wrap my foot up. It helped. After a few day's I gave my feedback and he took another look and told me my foot was weak! I have to be honest, I was shocked, but then I thought about it and it all made sense. It's totally weak as I've never fully rehabbed my foot. I've been doing the exercises he recommended and I'm happy to report that it's working. It's amazing how a little extra work, makes a HUGE difference! 

I am going to continue wrapping my foot for now as I need the extra support and I will defiantly do my exercised daily. Training for a marathon is taxing on the body, but if done properly it'll make you stronger. Not only physically, but mentally. 

My quality runs continue to be on point. I honestly feel stronger than I think I ever have as a runner right now, yet racing is the real test! My next race that I've worked into marathon training is this coming Sunday! Portland Shamrock 15k. I have big goals! 

 In 2018 I was in really good shape and ran Shamrock 15k at 1:09:33 (7:28 pace). I believe I can do better this year. It's going to be hard and I will have to fight for it but I have to try! 

I am also choosing to race Shamrock as a platform to bring awareness to a 13 year old's recent cancer diagnosis. I work with this Young Man's Mother and his story hit me hard. I will be adding the deets on this at the end of this blog. There's really easy ways to be involved in helping this family if we all do just a little bit. I've learned over the years that all the little things, add up to make a HUGE difference. Not just in life, but training as well. Don't ever think that something small doesn't matter! 

Pass the Mason Jar

Mason Ball was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He's an 8th grader at Santiam Christian School.  He's a very social young man who enjoys sports.

Currently we are at just under 2k
How can we do a little to help a lot? On Sunday March 12th I will be running Portland Shamrock 15k. The course will take my right by Doernbecher OHSU where Mason's going weekly for the next 6+ months for treatment. As I train, I pray for this family and I will run that race praying for Mason. I am asking that you give $15. $15 isn't very much but together is will add up. They money that comes in will go 100% to Mason and his family to do with what they see fit. They will be making many trips to Portland and will need gas and food money on top of the bills. 

Please partner with me as I pass the Mason Jar. I will run 15k, can you give $15? I am currently taking Venmo, cash or check's for the family. All funds that come in, even after the 15k will be given directly to the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...