Monday, August 24, 2015

Albany Half Marathon Race Review 2015



Check out Albany Half's Website ~here~

 Saturday, August 15th was the 3rd annual Albany Half Marathon. It was held at Timber Linn Park. I was excited to run this Summer Half! 
Add caption
 I arrived at 7:30, knowing the half started at 8:00. There was plenty of parking close to the start/finish line.  Packet pick-up was easy.  No lines and the volunteers were friendly and helpful.  Everything seemed very organized.  I went over to the port-a-potty line and there was no line there either.  Plenty of port-a-potties to handle this race.
I went back to my car and waiting a few minutes to the 8:00 am start.  The starting line was next to the parking lot.
The Finish Line!
We started out on Timber Street SE.  The race started promptly at 8:00 am.  It was a little muggy but cooler than it had been the last two years on this day.  I was thankful for cooler weather this year. We ran through a neighborhood, then heading out onto Knox Butt Rd E.  This part of the course was nice and flat. There were water stations about every two miles with plenty of volunteers. I got into a running grove and tried to relax!
Lots of food after the race!
As I made that first big turn on the looped course I felt a headwind.  I tried to tuck in behind a few of the runners running about my pace but that didn't last too long.  Half way there was a port-a-potty ready for anyone needing a break.  Soon I knew we would be running up a few rolling hills!  I was now caught up with the walkers.  They got an early start, 7:00 am.
At mile 7.5 I ran my first hill.  The hills in this race aren't that bad, they just are there and you do have to run them.  They are also the last half of the race, so they get me every time!
I ran the rollers and then the road evened back up again.  It was warming up slightly, but the weather overall was nothing to complain about for a Summer Half!  As I came back into the neighborhood, I knew the finish was near!  I picked up my pace for mile 12 and ran in with a strong finish!
My husband and 11 year old was there and we walked around and looked at the different vendors.  Dutch Bros was there giving out chocolate milk.  There was lots of food available for the runners and walkers to eat after the race!
It was a nice atmosphere.  I was able to get my finish time with-in minutes thanks to Eclectic Edge Racing.
 I walked around for a while, cooling off and waited for the Raffle and Awards at 10:30 am.  I came in first in my age group and won a cool plaque, a water bottle and some Dutch Bros chocolate milk.  My 11 year old quickly claimed the milk for himself! Lots and lots of raffles were drawn for all kinds of prizes.  My number didn't get called, but many people walked away with cool prizes, including new shoes! 
This year I liked the shirts the best out of all three years.  They were not unisex this year.  They had male and female fit shirts. This year they added a 5k and a kids run.  I love it when race organizers do this.  It makes it even more family friendly! It was the 3rd annual race, I recommend adding the 4th annual Albany half or 2nd 5k to your 2016 calendar!  Hope to see YOU there next year!  

Albany Half early registration $55.00 (includes a dri-fit shirt)

5k early registration $20.00 (includes a dri-fit shirt)

Kids race $5.00

This is a fundraiser for Albany Schools

Want to volunteer or get more information for 2016?
  Contact Bryce Bennett at (541) 730-0413 or bryce.bennett@albany.k12.or.us

Follow Albany Half on facebook here. 
Follow Julie (me) on facebook via ZaoFit here.

Upcoming races:
Runaway Pumpkin Half Oct 17, 2015
Uberthons Winter Half  Jan 23, 2016
                                              





No comments:

Post a Comment

Run Love, Self Love

This morning I headed to the hills for an easy run on sore legs. The ache I felt was a good ache. The ache that you know you ran a good trai...